Myopia Control Lenses
Myopia control lenses are specially engineered to slow myopia progression by incorporating hundreds of small lens segments to provide ‘myopic defocus’. This allows light to stimulate certain areas of the eye to allow clear vision and slow eyeball growth at the same time.
These lenses are designed to be worn full time for maximum effect. This is a safe, easy and non-invasive method of myopia control management for children. Studies show that these lenses slow down the rate of myopia progression by 67%*, which is a similar effect seen in orthokeratology, some daily soft multifocal contact lenses and 0.05% atropine eye drops (with single vision spectacles).
We are accredited to prescribe both Stellest and MiYOSMART lenses.
Advantages of Myopia Control Lenses
- Research shows it slows myopia progression by 67%
- Demonstrated maximum level of long term myopia control compared to other available treatment options
- Easy adaptation
- Non-surgical alternative for myopia management
- No long term effect on distance and near vision, pupil size and focusing ability.
- Includes impact-resistant material; perfect for active children!
- Lens comes with UV protection
- Myopia control lens satisfaction guarantee – lenses can be replaced under warranty within 5 months after collection (if SER increases by >-0.50 within this period)
Who is suitable?
- Most effective for myopic children in their growing years (i.e. age 5-15). The study focuses on the 8-13 year old age group.
- Those who require glasses full-time (>-1.00D)
- Spectacle prescription between sphere 0.00D to -10.00D and astigmatism up to -4.00DC. The study focuses on prescription between -1.00DS to -5.00DS and astigmatism ≤ -1.50DC.
- Fast myopia progression rate (³-0.50D/year)
- Comprehensive eye examination: The optometrist will check the health of your eyes to check the suitability for the atropine eye drops.
- Binocular vision assessment and AL scan:
- AL scan is a machine that measures the length of the eye to the nearest 0.01mm. The optometrist will use these results to track the growth of your child’s eye compared with a normal growth pattern.
- Click here for more info on the AL scan
- Select a suitable frame: An accredited dispenser will help to select a suitable frame for your child
- Glasses collection: We will do further adjustments on the frame to ensure optimal fit and comfort.
- Follow-up visits are required to regularly assess comfort and efficacy of the lens and any need for lens adjustments under warranty
- 4 months after collection – we strongly recommend a follow-up AL scan at this appointment to track how well the myopia is managed
- 6 monthly thereafter
Things you need to know:
- Stellest and MiYOSMART lenses must be worn full time (15hrs/day, 7days/week) to be effective
- Frame selection is very important and glasses must fit accurately (e.g. not too big or too small, not too high or too low). Our professional dispensing staff will assist you with choosing the most appropriate frame.
- May require 1-2 weeks adaptation
- You may experience increased peripheral glare at night time (e.g. night driving)
- Success rate may increase when combined with atropine eye drops; however this is yet to be researched.
- It is still important to practice good visual hygiene when wearing myopia control lenses.
- Other co-existing eye conditions (e.g. amblyopia, strabismus, binocular vision dysfunction) may still need to be managed with other treatment
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the best time to start wearing Myopia Control lenses for my child?
It is recommended to wear Myopia Control lenses from when first correction of myopia is needed or if myopia ≥ -0.50 progression in a year and between the age of 5-15 years old.
Can I use my own frame for the lenses?
Frame selection is very important with Myopia Control lenses to have the optimum treatment effect. Our staff will be able to provide you with recommendations and opinions on whether the frame is suitable for these lenses.
Are the lenses hard to adapt to?
All new glasses take some time to get used to, but you should allow 1-2 weeks of adaptation time to the lenses. There could be some mild distance blur and blurriness at night time for 1-2 weeks, but usually the effect is not very significant. During the adaptation time, avoid intensive sport activities and physical activities.
What are the consequences of high myopia?
High myopia can cause early onset cataracts, retinal detachment, myopia-related macular degeneration, myopia-related glaucoma, lower tolerance of spectacles (e.g. headaches, lower clarity), and higher cost for spectacle lenses.
Start Your Myopia Control Journey
Contact us on 07 3345 3383 or book online today!
Our Glasses Quality Guarantee
Is there anything I should think about when taking my prescription somewhere else to get glasses made?
Absolutely! When we prescribe glasses, we take into account various factors:
Lens Optics & Frame Selection
- We check the fitting of the frame around your nose and ears
- We look for the most suitable frame to give you the optimum optical effect
- All our lenses are specially selected by optometrists to give the best comfort and clarity. Our lens manufacturer has been creating optical lenses since 1849.
- The lenses are made using cutting-edge technology to provide sharp vision, comfort and effortless adaptation.
- Lenses are made from superior material, just like the lenses of a professional photographer’s camera.
- The lenses also come with superior lens coatings.
Other stores may use generic brand lenses to reduce the cost, whereas we choose experienced manufacturers to provide you with the best optical care. Our standard level lenses may well be the premium products other places offer. Even though the number in the prescription is the same, the design and optical quality of the lenses will still be different.
Extensive quality control measures
Our many stages of quality control stations mean that you can be rest assured to collect your glasses trouble-free. We actively prevent problems instead of letting our patients tell us about them. Therefore, we subject every glasses job to the following quality measures:
- Detailed and optimised measurement of the pupil distances and optical height measurements for your specific needs.
- Two-person check of the order before sending it out to the lab
- When the glasses come back, it has to pass our two quality control stations before it reaches you.
- Accurate prescription and optical measurements
- Lenses are scratch-free
- Coating quality
- Frame quality
- Nosepads and temples pre-adjusted for optimal fit
- Lens screws lacquered tight
- Because all of the above can make a huge difference in visual clarity and comfort, if there are any faults found during quality control, we will reject the job and request a remake.
It is not guaranteed other stores will take these steps to look after each glasses job.
We know that frames can become loose over time, or need tweaking to get back into shape! We provide unlimited adjustments on our frames, and free nose-pad replacements.
When it comes to our glasses, we can be proud to say that we have extremely low remake rates and easy adaptation.
Grace & Vision Optometry accepts all major health funds
Use your optical health funds benefits on a new pair of prescription glasses or sunglasses.
... and many more. Feel free to contact us if you don't see your health fund.