Extended Focus Lenses
Seamless vision for office work
Extended focus lenses feature a complete reading prescription in the lower zone of the lens, along with an extended reading or intermediate prescription in the upper zone of the lens. These two zones are seamlessly blended, with a smooth progression from one prescription to the other, and no visible dividing line.
This combination of reading and intermediate corrections provides clear vision both at close range and at screen distance.
Lens prescription changes from intermediate (computer) to near.
Advantages of Extended Focus Lenses
- 2 main focal points for intermediate (e.g. computer) and near, so can see computer and written notes clearly
- Relieves eye strain and improves visual clarity
- Great for office and computer work
- Less peripheral distortion than multifocal/progressive lenses due to the more subtle prescription change.
- Helps control the rate of prescription change as you age
- Cosmetically pleasing, as lens appears smooth, much like a single vision lens.
Who is suitable?
- Ideal for those that spend prolonged periods at the computer, aged >40 years old.
Things you need to know:
- Flat surfaces may appear curved initially, but will correct after 1-2 weeks
- Head/eye gaze should be held at the correct height to see clearly
- Must remove glasses or change to a suitable pair when looking in the distance
- Slight peripheral distortion causes blurry vision on the sides. You will need to position your head straight on for maximum clarity
- Does not allow for reading while lying down, due to different focal areas
- Glasses must be adjusted to sit well on your face, otherwise the focal points may be out.
Talk to our friendly staff about choosing Extended Focus lenses for your next pair of glasses! Call us on 07 3345 3383 or book online today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If I have single vision near glasses, do I still need extended focus glasses?
A: After age 40, we slowly lose our eyes’ ability to focus (called accommodation). Single vision lenses made for near work are generally for tasks at 30-45cm only. Whereas computer screens are generally 70-100cm away. Two different distances means two different prescriptions.
- Less eye fatigue when using the correct prescription for the correct tasks
- Single vision lenses for near work is great for reading and mobile phone use, but too strong for computer use
- Extended focus lenses are optimised for both computer and reading distances. So you don’t need to move the computer screen closer to you
- Slows prescription change linked with presbyopia.
For tailored advice on available options
Our Glasses Quality Guarantee
Is there anything I should think about when taking my prescription somewhere else to get glasses made?
Absolutely! When we prescribe glasses, we take into account various factors:
Lens Optics & Frame Selection
- We check the fitting of the frame around your nose and ears
- We look for the most suitable frame to give you the optimum optical effect
- All our lenses are specially selected by optometrists to give the best comfort and clarity. Our lens manufacturer has been creating optical lenses since 1849.
- The lenses are made using cutting-edge technology to provide sharp vision, comfort and effortless adaptation.
- Lenses are made from superior material, just like the lenses of a professional photographer’s camera.
- The lenses also come with superior lens coatings.
Other stores may use generic brand lenses to reduce the cost, whereas we choose experienced manufacturers to provide you with the best optical care. Our standard level lenses may well be the premium products other places offer. Even though the number in the prescription is the same, the design and optical quality of the lenses will still be different.
Extensive quality control measures
Our many stages of quality control stations mean that you can be rest assured to collect your glasses trouble-free. We actively prevent problems instead of letting our patients tell us about them. Therefore, we subject every glasses job to the following quality measures:
- Detailed and optimised measurement of the pupil distances and optical height measurements for your specific needs.
- Two-person check of the order before sending it out to the lab
- When the glasses come back, it has to pass our two quality control stations before it reaches you.
- Accurate prescription and optical measurements
- Lenses are scratch-free
- Coating quality
- Frame quality
- Nosepads and temples pre-adjusted for optimal fit
- Lens screws lacquered tight
- Because all of the above can make a huge difference in visual clarity and comfort, if there are any faults found during quality control, we will reject the job and request a remake.
It is not guaranteed other stores will take these steps to look after each glasses job.
We know that frames can become loose over time, or need tweaking to get back into shape! We provide unlimited adjustments on our frames, and free nose-pad replacements.
When it comes to our glasses, we can be proud to say that we have extremely low remake rates and easy adaptation.
Grace & Vision Optometry accepts all major health funds
Use your optical health funds benefits on a new pair of prescription glasses or sunglasses.
... and many more. Feel free to contact us if you don't see your health fund.